To start off, I have to come clean and say the title is clickbait, my dps is still 244 away from the 50K goal soloing on a 3M target :)
The following is a rough journaling of my experience progressing this stamblade character to meet endgame requirements. Initially for Trials, then Veteran Trials, then Veteran HM Trials (which thus far - with my minimal exposure to this part of the game - I find is more about the understanding and awareness of fight mechanic) and then seeing how close I can get to the dps of Alcast.
- Hit 300 CP
- Crafted Hunding's Rage daggers & jewelry set
- Crafted Night Mother's Gaze armor set
- Obtained Selene's Web monster set
- "Fake it to you make it" light attack weaving (seriously, I was just mashing buttons as fast as I could)
- Obtained Arms of Relequen armor set
- Installed the "Action Duration Reminder" add-on from esoui.com which helps with knowing when my damage-over-time skills and self buffs expire and need to be refreshed; regardless of which skill bar is active
- Started to work on light attack weaving in earnest trying to interrupt animations with each combination of skill and light attack actions
- Obtained Maelstrom's Bow
- Switched to Velidreth monster set and all Medium type armor to maximize weapon damage and critical chance
- Hit 600 CP
- Obtained Berserking Warrior daggers & jewelry set
- Realized that it was my light attack weaving rhythm that was sometimes blocking the next skill from activating and needing to click again (I shouldn't have excused it as just a "lag spike"). Slowing down my rhythm helped increase my dps.
- Switched to pure stamina and stamina regeneration food to maximize the parse
- With near best-in-slot gear, I was at a loss for how to improve. I decided to review my rotation and realized I was light attacking twice during bar swaps when I didn't need to; I was light attacking before and after bar swapping when I only need to before the swap and quickly go into a skill right after. I was also combining light attacks with drinking a potion when I shouldn't; I combined drinking a potion with quickly clicking a skill right after.
- The attempts between parses had a wide swing of 5k in dps; but the weapon critical and critical damage numbers were fairly equal (stamblade heavily rely on crit). So I figured it must be the consistency in my light weaving skills again. Tapping into my music experience (thank you mom for forcing me to play piano when I was growing up), I googled "Metronome", set the BPM to 110 and hit play. On every beat, I would alternate clicking a skill and then a light attack. When needing to bar swap or drink a potion, I would make sure that it's combined with a skill on a single beat. This gave me the consistency from parse to parse.
- I hope getting to 810 CP will achieve this milestone
ESO is the first game I've come across that really challenges the player's ability with a concept like light attack weaving (I wonder if this was an intentional design of the game or something a player found out by accident); most other games have skill cooldowns that don't allow the interruption of animations. This means increasing dps isn't just about getting better gear and using the strongest skills. I attribute the following things to getting me to where I am with light attack weaving:
- Using the Action Duration Reminder add-on; I no longer have to guess when to switch skill bars to renew damage-over-time and buff skills
- Figuring out that skill bar swapping and potion drinking shouldn't be the same as activating a skill; it should be in conjunction with using a skill
- Using a metronome to find a steady rhythm that works for me in alternating between a skill and a light attack
Lastly, I always leave the gear, CP, traits, skills etc. to the theorycrafting pros (thanks for your hard work!) and tweak them to my playstyle.